PDFPrintE-mail

SA Union: Grey's Hospital, Pietermaritzburg, Nurse's Badge

SA Union: Grey's Hospital, Pietermaritzburg, Nurse's BadgeSA Union: Grey's Hospital, Pietermaritzburg, Nurse's Badge
Form: Circular uniface brooch
By: Royal Mint, Pretoria
Date: 1923-41
Ref:  Laidlaw: 1042;
Variations:
SizeMetalMassValue
25.7 mmSilver & enamel9.2 gm$12

Edge: Plain.

Obverse: A modified version of the old coat of arms for the City of Pietermaritzbug, elephant,left, below five radiant stars and motto: "AMORE ET SERVIRE". Legend on a raised blue-enamel band: "GREY'S HOSPITAL PIETERMARITZBURG" with markings at the foot indicating that the band is a garter.

Reverse: Blank. Stamped: "925" and "RMP". Attached brooch pin.

Notes: Grey's Hospital in Pietermaritzburg was founded in October 1855 by a grant of ₤1,000 from the Governor General of the Cape Colony, Sir George Grey, and a further ₤1,000 from the Colony of Natal. It was located on the banks of the Msunduzi River on the (then) outskirts of the town on the Durban Road. In 1985 the hospital was moved to its present location in the hills to the north of the town. It has more than 500 beds.