RSA (Pre-1994): Afrkaanse Taal en Kultuurvereniging
|Form:||Circular with attached loop.|
AM2: 358; Laidlaw: 0169;
A.T.K.V. coat of arms, ox wagon above a winged railway wheel, and motto: “HANDHAAF EN BOUC (maintain and build) on a ribbon below. Legend on a band above: “OP DIE PAD VAN SUID AFRIKA” (on the road of South Africa); and below between ornaments: : “A.T.K.V. (S.A.S. EN H)”.
A wagon wheel with ten spokes extending to the rim of the medal. Between the spokes:
1. Paardekraal Monument, Krugersdorp
2. Huguenot Memorial Building, Cape Town
3. Blood River Monument, Natal
4. Taalmonument, Burgersdorp
5. Paul Kruger Statue, Pretoria
7. Van Riebeeck Monument, Cape Town
8. National Women's Monument in Bloemfontein.
9. Voortrekker Monument, Pretoria
10. Marthinus Oosthuizen Monument
On the rim of the wheel, at the foot: “16 12 1963”.
A.T.K.V. stands for Afrkaanse Taal en Kultuurvereniging (Afrikaans Language and Culture Society) which was promoted by the Suid-Afrikaanse Spoorweë & Hawens (S.A.S. en H) the government department responsible for railways and harbours.
The medal commemorates the cultural festival of Dingaan's Day (or the Day of the Vow) on 16th December. The day remains a public holiday, now called the Day of Reconciliation.