PDFPrintE-mail

Cape Colony: South African Exhibition at Port Elizabeth (Afrikaans )

Cape Colony: South African Exhibition at Port Elizabeth (Afrikaans )Cape Colony: South African Exhibition at Port Elizabeth (Afrikaans )
Form: Circular
By: A. Fischer & Co., Port Elizabeth (?)
Date: 1885
Ref:  AM2: 29; Laidlaw: 0217b;
Variations:
SizeMetalMassValue
48.2 mmBronze35.8 gm$65

Edge: Plain.

Obverse: Old coat of arms of Port Elizabeth with motto: “IN MELIORA SPERA (in the hope of better things)”. Legend: “SOUTH AFRICAN EXHIBITION OF 1885” with an ornament at the foot.

Reverse: Within a circle: “ARBEID VERSTAND (half circle) / VREDE (arc) / EN / EENZAAMHEID (arc) / . VERZEKEREN VOORSPOED . (half circle)”.”. Legend above: “CONCORDIA . NAMAQUALAND” and below between stops: “CAPE OF GOOD HOPE”

Notes: Africana Curiosities ed. Anna Smith pages 42-43.

Port Elizabeth is a port city in the Eastern Cape. The Exhibition there of South African arts, raw materials and products was a preliminary to the Colonial and Indian Exhibition in London in 1886, to which the best exhibits were to be sent. It was opened by the Governor of the Cape Colony, Sir Hercules Robinson, on 10th December 1885, and closed in January 1886.

Concordia is a town in in Namaqualand in the Northwestern Cape and the Cape of Good Hope is in the southern region.

There is a similar medal with English on the reverse (Laidlaw 0217a).