RSA (Pre-1994): Generals of the Anglo-Boer War by Pagliari: Set of 12
|By:||Pagliari / South African Historical Mint|
Plain. Stamped with the SAHM hallmarks for sterling silver: "SAHM STG (springbok head) D (for 1977)".
Each medal shows the bust of a general, year of birth on the left and the year of death on the right, name of the general in an arc below the bust. Signed: “PAGLIARI” and the bottom of the bust in various positions.
(1) Bareheaded bearded bust of General Cronje in suit and bow tie, slightly right. “1836 1911 / PIETER CRONJE”
(2) Bareheaded bearded bust of General de la Rey in uniform, half left. “1847 1914 / JACOBUS DE LA REY”
(3) Bareheaded bearded bust of General de Wet in suit and bow tie, front. “1854 1922 / CHRISTIAAN DE WET”
(4) Bearded bust of General Botha in uniform with hat, half right. “1862 1919 / LOUIS BOTHA”
(5) Bareheaded bust with moustache of General Hertzog in suit and tie, front. “1866 1942 / JAMES HERTZOG”
(6) Bareheaded bearded bust of General Smuts in suit and tie, front. “1870 1950 / JAN SMUTS”
(7) Bareheaded bust with moustache of General Villebois-Mareuil in uniform, half left. “1847 1900 / GEORGE VILLEBOIS-MAREUIL”
(8) Bareheaded bearded bust of Field Marshal Lord Roberts in uniform, front. “1832 1914 / FREDERICK ROBERTS”
(9) Bearded bust of General Buller in uniform with cap, half left. “1839 1908 / REDVERS BULLER”
(10) Bareheaded bust with moustache of General Lord Kitchener in uniform, front. “1850 1916 / HORATIO KITCHENER”
(11) Bareheaded bust with moustache of General French in uniform, left. “1852 1925 / JOHN FRENCH”
(12) Bust with moustache of Colonel Baden-Powell in uniform with hat, slightly left. “1857 1941 / ROBERT BADEN-POWELL”
All have the same reverse: Three flags on crossed standards, Orange Free State on the left, Great Britain in the middle and Transvaal on the right. On a ribbon, wrapped around the bottom end of the standards: “ANGLO-BOER WAR / 1899 – 1902”. Signed: “VERBOOM” below right.
The medals come inside an oblong blue leather case for two rows of six medals per row lined with silk and blue velvet. In gilded letters on the outside of the lid: "(logo - reverse medal image) / SOUTH AFRICAN HISTORICAL MINT / GENERALS OF THE ANGLO-BOER WAR" and similarly on on the inside without the logo. There is a numbered certificate signed by the director of the South African Historical Mint which states that the mintage was 5,000. The set here is numbered 452.
The diameter and mass vary slightly.