Canada: Boer War: Peace in South Africa, Dove: Advertising Token
Hern: 906-927 (same or similar); Laidlaw: 0445b;
Within a beaded border round the rim, dove flying left with olive branve in beek. In an arc above: "PEACE IN" and below: "SOUTH AFRICA". Legend above: "BRITISH-BOER WAR" and below: "OCT.11.1889. TO MAY 31.1902."
Within a beaded border round the rim, ornamented advertising message.
(1) "NEW IDEAS / IN / ADVERTISING / COIN AND DUE BILLS / THE CRANSTONE NOVELTY CO. / GALT, ONT. / 1902".
(2) "YOU WILL BE ALLOWED / 25c / FOR THIS COIN / ON A CASH PURCHASE / OF ENGAGEMENT / AND / WEDDING RINGS / OR WATCHES / AT PATTERSON / THE WATCH DOCTOR / WINGHAM, ONT."
(3) "WITH COMPLIMENTS / OF / WALTER THOMPSON / & SON / MILLERS & / GRAIN DEALERS / LONDON, MITCHELL / & SEAFORTH / CANADA".
(4) "ONE COIN WILL BE TAKEN / AS 25c / ON CASH / PURCHASE OF / ENGAGEMENT RING / WEDDING RING / OR WATCH / R. PATTERSON / JEWELER / KINCARDINE, ONT."
(5) "COMPLIMENTS OF / E.C. FEATHERSTONE / PHOTOS / AND / STATIONARY / MILTON, ONT."
(6) " GOOD FOR / $1 ON / AN APPLICATION / FOR INSURANCE / M.M. OXLEY / GENERAL / AGENT / CONFEDERATION LIFE / NIAGARA FALLS, ONT."
(7) "BUY KEEWATIN FLOUR BEST ON EARTH / A.H. CARR, / FEED / HAY SEEDS / & ETC. / WINGHAM, ONT."
(8) "J.C. COOKE / CHEMIST / & / DRUGGIST / KINCARDINE, ONT."
Made in a variety of different metals: bronze, gilded bronze, copper-nickel, brass, White medal and aluminium.
These Canadian tokens were marketed by The Cranston Novelty Co. of Galt, Ontario. The company was established in 1885 by James K. Cranston as a seller of stationary, books and fancy goods. During the period from 1898 to 1905 the company undertook the production of many trade tokens for Ontario merchants. It is not known if the tokens were struck in-house or on the equipment of another Ontario company. The Cranston Novelty Co. moved to Toronto in 1906 and ceased operation in 1930.