PDFPrintE-mail

Transvaal: Witwatersrand Agricultural Society Award

Transvaal: Witwatersrand Agricultural Society AwardTransvaal: Witwatersrand Agricultural Society Award
Form: Circular
By: Sampson Mordan & Co Ltd
Date: 1907
Ref:  Laidlaw: 0144a;
Variations:
SizeMetalMassValue
45.3 mmSilver45.1 gm$75

Edge: Plain. Stamped with the maker's mark: "SM&CO" in a lozenge and the Birmingham silver hallmarks for 1906-7 (g). Reeded rim.

Obverse: Cows, horse and foal, and sheep. Behind on left four wheat stacks and on right stream engine and wagon travelling left. In the distance mine head gear, smoking chimneys and radiant sun on horizon. Legend on a ribbon above: "WITWATERSRAND AGRICULTURAL .SOCIETY." In the exergue, a cartouche: "1907" flanked by corn cobs rising upwards.

Reverse: Within a wreath of corn cobs (left) and laurel (right), "AWARDED / TO / FOR" with space for engraving. At the bottom, the Royal coat of arms with Queen's crown crest and motto: "DIEU ET MON DROIT".

Engraved on this medal: "S.J. HALFORD / PROSPECTING DRILL".

Notes: Medal issued inside a black case with gilded rectangle edging the outside of the lid and lined inside with white silk and blue velvet. On the inside of the lid in gilt: "PRITCHARD & ELOFF STREETS / JOHANNESBURG / SAMPSON MARKS & Co / THE / SILVERSMITHS."

The Witwatersrand Agricultural Society was instituted 1894 and the fledgling ‘Rand Show’ was opened by Paul Kruger the following year. The shows ceased during the Boer War but recommenced in 1907 with show grounds in Milner Park. This was the venue for the Rand Show until 1984. The Rand Show continues to be held annually during the Easter holidays. The venue has changed and the nature of the exhibition has become oriented towards family entertainment.