RSA: William Harvey / South African Blood Transfusion Service, 50th Blood Donation
|By:||Medal Art, Pretoria|
Within a laurel wreath, bust of Harvey, half left, with skull cap and goatee beard. Legend on a wide band above: “WILLIAM HARVEY” and below between ornaments: “1578 – 1657”.
At the top, the emblem of the Blood Transfusion Services. On the left in concentric arcs: “THE SOUTH AFRICAN / BLOOD TRANSFUSION SERVICES / IN COMMEMORATION OF THE / 50TH / BLOOD DONATION”. On the right in concentric arcs: “DIE SUID-AFRIKAANSE / BLOEDOORTAPPINGSDIENS / TER HERDENKING VAN DIE / 50STE / BLOEDSKENKING”. In the centre across: “BY/DEUR" with space above and below for engraving. At the bottom, an ornate cartouche for engraving. Silver medal stamped" "SILVER" above cartouche.
This silver medal engraved: "1974 / J.M. v.d. WALT".
This bronze medal engraved: "354961 / C.E. SMITH".
This plated medal engraved: "1991 / C.M. RACHAT".
The silver medal was replaced by the bronze medal in about 1970. This in turn was replaced by a plated base metal medal in about 1985. Signs of rust damage to the dies become apparent in later medals and reverse legends differ slightly.
The South African Blood Transfusion Service was restructured in 2001. The service is now know as the South African National Blood Service and a new system pf awards has been instituted.
William Harvey (1578 –1657) was an English physician who described the systemic circulation and properties of blood being pumped by the heart.